One week - we made it! I lied last night when I said I promise to get the most out of the rest of the trip...
It’s time to go home.
I had a great birthday today (we celebrated at Wendy’s), but today was rough for a majority of the team. As of right now, 27 out of the 29 of us have gotten sick in some form. I think only 4 of those 27 HAVEN’T thrown up.
Today was supposed to be typical work day. The 10 of us that weren’t sick went to the worksite and worked for about an hour until Dana fainted and Caroline got real dizzy. The doctor ordered all of us to stop working and sit inside the clinic’s waiting room to prevent the rest of us getting sick. We all felt pretty helpless. We had nothing but lame jokes and pocketknives to entertain us and we couldn’t go back to the house and be around all the sick people and whatever virus is floating around there. I’ve been wondering all day what we’re going to do the next couple days. People keep getting sick so even if they feel fine tomorrow, I doubt the doctor would want us to work or do VBS and be around all those kids.
After about an hour, we went up to the comedor to see what was for lunch (we don’t go up there expecting to eat anymore). Of course! Honduran hot dogs consisting of a pound of condiments on top of a discolored hot dog. Wally decided to try it but gave it to Biscuit (the tick-infested dog) after one bite. Biscuit ate everything except the hot dog then ended up eating it with what seemed to be a bit of hesitation.
Off to Wendy’s! Jorge is good at keeping us happy. He’s been with us all day. He worked at the site with us the first couple of days, but has ceased all work to finish a birthday gift he’s been making for me. I found a small piece of wood the first day and, being the Boy Scout I am, pulled out my knife and started widdling it to a point. Jorge stole it to finish what I started and promised he would give it back to me finished for my birthday. Sure enough, it is now back in my hands.
Anyways…David drove us to Wendy’s. We passed it on the main highway but there was road construction so we had to drive an extra 15 minutes to go through all the backroads and approach it from the back. Detours here aren’t quite as easy! I had 100 limpiras to spend (5 bucks) so I got a delicious spicy chicken sandwich and a frosty. We ended up going back to the house afterward. All of our sheets had been stripped off the beds to be laundered at La Providencia. The doctora came while we were “working” and dealt with everyone’s sickness. She ended up taking Anna Bliss, Trey, Erin, and Claire to the clinic to get blood tests and…their favorite part…stool samples! Thankfully, most everybody had gotten a little better by the time we got back after taking some meds (the doctora thinks it was a bacterial infection).
At our nightly meeting, Stephanie had a little announcement…In the morning, we’re leaving at 5 for……..the airport. Yeah…turns out there could be a little political violence on Friday when we’re supposed to leave. The Organization of American States has taken over the political crisis in Honduras and has decided to reinstate the President on Thursday – a decision that could result in riots and protests getting in our way of the airport. Not only that, but we don’t want to get stuck here if the violence is so bad that the military has to take over. A flight was found yesterday with EXACTLY 28 seats left (we don’t need 29 – Daniel is flying to the states with his mom). We will fly out tomorrow morning at noon and go home through Atlanta. I’m hoping the roads are okay in the morning and everything goes smoothly. I’m off to pack…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment