Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 2 - June 25

I put my ear plugs in early last night at 9:30. We had to get up at 7 today. Surprisingly, breakfast was great! Eggs with a slight kick, refried beans, some wafer that Cole described as a vanilla wafer without the vanilla, fruit loops (we’re in Honduras?), and amazing pineapple.

We had to drive about 20 minutes to the worksite (La Providencia). We get a personal tour so I’ll about the history tomorrow. We basically split up into teams and performed one big task. Us seniors – Cole, Anna, Elise, Savannah, and I had to dig a big ditch, mix concrete, and pour it in and lay bricks on top. It was fun! My arms got really burned (worked for 5 hours). I’m really enjoying interacting with all the people here. They’re all super friendly at La Providencia. I’m realizing how much Spanish I do know. Last year’s class made me feel so behind. JosuĂ© y Jorge helped us get everything right. We love talking to Jorge about his experience with American things – music, movies, etc. He likes Shania Twain!

Jorge told us that Michael Jackson died today. If he’s telling the truth, R.I.P. Mikey.

Lunch was yummy fish tacos. They tasted just like Wahoo’s. There’s kids running all around playing during lunch. Jaime (prounounced Jee-ay-me) and I had fun playing catch and riding on my shoulders. It’s a different world when you’re six feet off the ground!

The CPC family team is here too. They got here last Friday and leave Saturday. The Graves, Snodgrasses, a kid in my sophomore d-group, and some other doctors’ families are here. I’d love to do something like this with my family – hopefully Kenya later on.

The family team hosted a community night tonight for all the kids that attend Academia La Providencia and their families. For some strange reason the theme was 4th of July so I decked myself out in mom’s patriotic scrub top (mom, you didn’t lose it – I stole it. I can’t believe you actually wear that to work!), red boardshorts, and knee-high blue socks.


There was a good turnout – the place was pretty packed. You have to be super social here as an American or else everyone will just stand against the wall and smile at you. I stayed at the balloon-making station for a while – I learned how to make a great perro bomba (dog balloon)! I don’t know how many times I said “¿Quieres un perro?” tonight! Kids could get stick-on tattoos, facepaint, hair braiding, etc. Kids here love bubbles. It’s a perfect conversation starter ;-)




We had papusas brought in from some families in the community. Lots of people don’t like them but I thought they were alright! My picky days are over! We served dinner to the community – I messed up and would offer it to them by saying “¿Quieres desayuno?” (Do you want breakfast?)! Everything winded down before dark – it’s not god to be outside real late. We have a little worship service each night as a team and someone shares their testimony. It’s been a long, sweaty day and it’s 10:15 so I’m off to bed…

No comments:

Post a Comment