Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 5 - June 28

Today was awful. I woke up at 1am and threw up off and on until 4. I wonder what caused it?! Must have been those DEEP FRIED tortillas! Thankfully, we stayed inside all day long because of the political uproar:

The current Honduran president is very popular with the poor people (72% of Honduras). He is poorly educated and uses that, combined with his political-savvy mind, to appeal to voters. Last week, he randomly fired the head of the military. Obviously, this is a power play (like Chavez) to extend his reign as president. Firing the military head was essential because the military’s side purpose is to protect the Constitution, which specifies a president’s term to only last a certain number of years. Voting for president takes place tomorrow (I think). I’m not sure if he got his name on the ballot or not. I do know he is in hiding. Anyways, supposedly today wasn’t a great day to leave this fortress we call home. I haven’t heard of any specific riots or protests but I’m sure it’s been worse in Tegucigalpa than Siguatepeque. The only thing we had planned was church and that closed so today was a great day to stay in bed.

Buck was throwing up all night to. He chilled all day and is feeling a lot better now. Today is his birthday :( We might have gotten a 24-hour virus from Matt Graves that almost everyone else on the family team had. I didn’t throw up the rest of the day. I ate very little and didn’t get out of bed very much. When I did, I’d get nauseous real easily (this place doesn’t smell too great). My temp was 99.6 in the morning and 100.0 late afternoon. I’m glad I know how to take care of myself now without much help (tip: TAKE ADVIL!). After throwing up this morning, I had strep throat symptoms (my experience with which was worse than getting my wisdom teeth pulled) so I’m glad all that pain went away.

It’s 7:10 and I feel great. I as able to eat a few pieces of pizza (Domino’s!) My body responds well to good ol’ gringo food! I’m going to bed now to catch up on my sleep. The power’s been off and on from the thunderstorm. It’s been getting harsh and harsh = great when it comes to rain so my sleeping conditions are working to advantage!

No comments:

Post a Comment